Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Wendy Halverson Gets Gangsta In California

Wendy Halverson sent me a quick update on her road from Centennial to San Francisco - and what a ride:

1. I went to Albertson College of Idaho-graduated 2001 with degree in Psych, Art and minor in Biology (don't ask)

2. I played tennis for ACI for three years and then quit my senior year to work. I needed more money than my tennis scholarship was giving. :)

3. I went to BSU and got a bachelor's in social work (I was so indecisive)...I should have been a doctor by now!

4. I worked as a home health and hospice social worker. (Heavy stress but loved it)

5. Got my Master's in social work at NNU (Northwest Nazarene University)

6. Met a great guy....

7. Moved to California...got a job in East Oakland, serving the underserved. It was really scary. Just watch "Boyz in the Hood" and you would see several scenarios like the ones I experienced! I did home visits there and when I got attacked by dogs one day and the next day hurt my back trying to get a lady in her car (while a police chase was going on in her neighborhood, complete with police helicopters circling)....I began to look for another job. East Oakland is also featured in many rap videos!

8. I got a job at Kaiser (an enormous HMO). I do homevisits for Palliative care...so back in the death, dying, end of life planning arena. But I work on what is called the Peninsula, it is much safer and the patients have insurances....Praise the Lord! I like it so far.

Thanks Wendy!

If you are interested in posting an update, pictures or anything else on the blog - send your stuff to Jeff Mulcock's email...

1 comment:

pip said...

WOOT! Wendy kicks ass!