Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Fateful Meeting For Dave Boyle

Although many have tied the knot, there are still a few of us still living the single life as well as a few who are well on their way...

Dave Boyle is one as he recently got engaged to his fiancee Stormy. Dave sent this picture and a brief description about how he and Storm met:

I met Stormy one month before graduating from Utah State. Hence the photo's USU baseball cap that I'm donning atop my head. She and I met in my last church Institute class as a USU student, sitting right next to each other, as a matter of fact. However, interestingly, we didn't even share a hymn book at the time, although we share a book all the time now!

Actually, other than a few sidelong glances at each other throughout the entirety of that fateful Institute class evening, not a word was spoken between us until right after class in the local Walmart parking lot. We both decided to do our shopping right after class that night at Walmart, which explained how we recognized each other from class right before as we walked in the parking lot to do our shopping. We both did a double take as we initially noticed how familiar we each looked to one another as we were almost literally walking side-by-side into Walmart from where our cars were parked not more than 10 yards away from the store.

So, naturally, we both said, "Hi." Then, "Interesting class, huh?" ... "Yeah!" (I forget who said "Hi" first, but that was truly, almost word-for-word, how we greeted each other). As we continued to walk together into the store's front door, we amused ourselves with small talk about the weather, our funny and energetic Institute teacher, and so forth, until finally, I decided to just ask her out. I was nervous about being too direct in asking her out, so instead, I said, "Hey, Stormy, do you want to join some friends and I in watching Will Ferrell's 'Elf' movie tonight?" She thought about it a moment and replied, "You bet. That sounds fun. I just need to get something for my mom here, and I can meet you all at your movie party place as soon as possible."

"Yee-haw!" I thought, as I proceeded to write down her phone number as she started spouting off her cell phone digits to me, apparently as excited as I was to watch this funny Christmas movie with funnyman Will Ferrell starring in the lead role this time. Then, I remember how adorable Stormy was as she appeared as nervous as I must have seemed when she asked, "By the way, Dave, is it okay if I'm still dressed in my work clothes?" Stormy is a medical assistant for a local family doctor practice in Logan's Cache Valley, and she was still sporting her comfortable-looking medical scrubs from having worked right up until class before.

I was about to say, "Sure," but she decided she wanted to change into something other than work clothes anyway, even though she was still so clean and neat appearing, somehow. So, without further adieu between us, and before I could utter another word, she nearly read my mind with the perfect backup plan instead, when she went ahead and said, "How about I go ahead and call you when I'm changed and ready to go to the movie at your friends' place?" So, here Stormy was, getting my digits for that evening, too, reinforcing even further my belief that she was just as excited, if not more, about the "Elf" movie than I was. :-) Moving on to such movie, it was so much fun that I decided to ask her out again ... and again ... and again.

And so, the rest is history, and in a nutshell, that cold Logan evening was essentially our first date; hanging out with elves, reindeer and everything else magical during the bright lights and sweet sounds of joy-filled Christmas-time! And, planned as such or not, it was just as magical to ask Stormy to marry me under by my brother Brad's brightly-lit Christmas tree in Bountiful, Utah, two holiday seasons after that very first holiday season when we met each other and simultaneously found in each other our future best friends ever!

Congrats to David who I believe is getting married in May...so we can all probably meet Stormy in August!

2 comments:

Dave said...

Jeff, my Bro-seff, good job. That is awesome, and I appreciate all your hard work in making this such a look-forward-to-event soon! :-) Your friend, Dave B.

The Jones Family said...

Congrats Dave! That's exciting.