Monday, June 25, 2007

John Root Talks Crepe

John Root just sent me an update:

After high school I attended one semester at BYU thinking, what the heck, I might want to be a doctor when I grow up. I decided to serve a mission for my church and they sent me to Poland where I would visit people in hospitals from time to time and that was enough to dissuade me from medicine forever. Not to disparage all you doctors (Steve), but I just couldn't handle the hospital smell. So upon returning to BYU I chose a very practical and highly marketable major; political philosophy. I became friends with my Polish language and culture professor who happened to be a violin maker. I convinced him to take me on as an apprentice and made two violins in the course of two years working on Saturdays and some evenings.

Another highlight of college was the chance to play bass for an epic rock band known as The Bifs featuring Eric Atwood, Kelly Frew and Mikey Smith. I did Air Force ROTC while in Provo, a decision that landed me in Pensacola, Florida for two years for navigator flight training. I was intended to be a weapon systems officer and fly in the back seat of either an F-15E fighter jet or a B-1B bomber. That turned out to be another "what the heck" moment as I soon realized that those jets fly way too fast for my puny, walnut-sized brain to keep up with. After a year of intense military flight training and two hurricanes, Ivan and Katrina, I washed out of flight school and the Air Force sent me to Vandenberg AFB on the Central Coast of California where I met my wife Sarah and decided to get out of the Air Force.

We are expecting our first baby (a boy) in September, so Sarah will be very well-rounded when you meet her. We stayed here in California and opened a crepe cafe modeled after a little place I used to frequent in Poland. For now, business is good but since there is a high failure rate in the food industry I have a plan E. If the cafe fails I'll become a hunter/ gatherer and wander the mountains of Central Coast California in search of nuts and berries. Who knows, maybe I'll find gold! Looking forward to seeing you all again!

Keep the blogs coming!

No comments: